The CISV Columbus Chapter is pleased to announce the activation of the Christopher Barge/Columbus Scholarship Fund. Chris Barge and his family were members of the Northwest Ohio CISV Chapter. After Chris was killed in a car accident, a scholarship fund was created in his name. When the NWO Chapter merged with Columbus in 2012, the scholarship money was transferred to the Columbus Scholarship Fund.
By providing a scholarship, we hope a child who otherwise could not experience the Village program, will become an active global citizen and a local role model in CISV and in the community.
One Village delegate for the upcoming year will be awarded $500.00 from this scholarship fund. Additionally, the local fees of $500.00 will be waived. The family will be responsible for the local membership fee to join CISV Columbus and for the balance of expenses for the Village program.
Application and selection for scholarship and application and selection for the Village program are separate forms and separate processes. The scholarship committee members will only review the financial need provided in the application. They will not attend Selection Day. Furthermore, the Selection Committee members who review the Village program application and references and observe and interview the applicants on Selection Day will not have any knowledge of scholarship applicants.
Process for Scholarship:
- Complete the CISV Columbus Scholarship application and return it to the Scholarship Chairperson, Lynn Vottero, by January 4, 2020.
- The application information will be reviewed by three local long-time CISV members. Only the scholarship committee chairperson and members will have access to this confidential information.
- These members will provide their recommendation to Lynn Vottero prior to the board meeting when delegates are approved.
- At that board meeting, the board members will vote on the Village delegates as recommended by the Selection Committee members. All applicants will be notified of their status that evening by Village Chairperson.
- Scholarship applicants will also be notified of their status by Lynn Vottero.
- All families will have until the end of January to accept or decline the chapter’s invitation to have their child participate as a delegate in the Village program.
- The only board members to have knowledge of the scholarship recipient will be the Scholarship Chairperson, the Village Chairperson and the Treasurer.
- Please send all materials and any questions to Lynn Vottero: Cbus.Scholarshipchair@cisvusa.org.